Sunday 2 September 2012

Lentil & Vegetable Cottage Pie

Last weekend, I made another smashing (if I do say so myself) vegetarian dish.

Lentil & Vegetable Cottage Pie


It was super scrumptious and full of vegetably goodness.  I didn't do a calorie count on it, as I'm sure the mashed potato on top would have been a bit calorie rich (especially with all that butter!), but I still think it would have been a reasonably healthy meal.  For the 'meat' part it had lentils, celery, onion, carrots, peas, corn (I added the peas and corn, they were not in the recipe), sun-dried tomato pesto, passata and thyme.  A fantastic blend of flavours.  I also ended up improvising the passata for sieved tinned tomatoes.  I was very impressed with this dish.  It was super easy to make - the most difficult bit being the mashed potato (oh, and I must add that I did not use all 100g of butter in the mash.  I would have used at least half of that and it was plenty buttery!).  My sister said it tastes a lot like my lentil soup, which I think it is a great way to describe it.  I must say though that the addition of the thyme was crucial to the flavour.  Maybe I might add some thyme to my soup...

Served with a good helping of steamed veggies.

YUM!

There's not going to be too many new dishes tried and tested this fortnight as my sister and I kind of over-spent during the last couple of days.  So it is plenty of veggies and pasta for a while...  Though I am looking forward to trying a few dishes from the new vegetarian cookbook called 'Food' by Mary McCartney very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment