Tuesday 14 August 2012

A Healthier Cannelloni

Over the school holidays I made the yummiest cannelloni I have ever eaten.  It was, however, quite hefty in the calorie stakes.

I am slowly getting my eating back in order and have lost a couple of those pesky kilos I gained over the past few months.  Still wanting to enjoy the yumminess of cannelloni, I found a 'healthier' version.  And a big plus was that it also had pumpkin.



This cannelloni was pretty yummy.  I was impressed with the flavour it had, especially considering it didn't have a whole stack of ingredients.  I also added a few little extras:  pine nuts to the filling (this was suggested in the comments on Taste, it added a greater depth and texture to the meal) and some grated cheese to the top before putting it in the oven.  Just the cannelloni would have been roughly 300 calories plus the salad (which I added cheese and ranch dressing to...).  So it was a reasonably healthy meal - and MUCH healthier than the other cannelloni I had made.

All ready to go in the oven.  Yum.


For lunch this week I made Pork Salad.  I found the recipe in one of my Low Fat cookbooks.  It's kinda like a San Choi Bow - and supposedly 210 calories a serve (I've always considered pork, and especially pork mince to be quite high in fat).  It was very easy to make and very crisp and fresh to eat.  I think the only main negative to the meal was the cooking of the pork mince.  I HATE the smell of pork mince cooking.  YUCK.



Tonight I am making a Honey Mustard Pasta Salad for the next couple of day's lunches.  Sounds delicious, fingers crossed it tastes delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment